5 October

What is my Jonah?

Tonight's message of Ptr. Ed Lapiz made me re-assess myself. He'd had numerous sermons which I've listened to and which have made me look into myself because when it comes to surrendering, I believe I need to get some work done because I don't think I have ever did it. That hurts.

When 'Pepeng' was approaching the Philippine area of responsibility just a few days after 'Ondoy', I'm sure that a lot of Filipinos were on their knees, calling out to God. Why must it take a monumental storm to get us on our knees? Why must it take a broken heart or a disaster to get me to remember God?

The storm rocked the ship where Jonah was in. The crew were panicking, calling out to their own gods and throwing their cargo (material needs) overboard. God made the storm stronger and the waves bigger. Why? Because Jonah was on the ship. Jonah's disobedience - the reason. The storm - God's reaction.

There are things that happen in our lives which we think are acts of God. But do we ever think that it's just a reaction of God?

The Jonah in me has been sleeping, down the deck, when everything else in life is moving about. There is a call in church for everyone to get on their feet and spread God's word. And where am I? Down the deck, even refusing to face my cell group leader, my pastor, my praise and worship leader. Just like Jonah.

When Jonah admitted that it was him who was the cause of the storm, he told the sailors that he must be thrown overboard. But the sailors still tried to row back to land, but of course, it was in vain. There may be people or circumstance around me that can hinder me from doing the will of God. I may let them, but if I do, the waves will just continue to get rougher and rougher. The adversity is never going to end.

I can't deny the Lord's call for me to spend more time in prayer. When Jonah disobeyed God, he was thrown into the sea and spent three days inside a whale where he couldn't do anything but pray and meditate and think of the things which God called him to do but he never did.

When will I throw myself overboard?

J.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment